Your Ad Here!

Friday, April 1, 2011

History of April Fools Day


It's April Fools Day! Did you have some fun today? Did you fill up the salt and pepper shakers with cayenne instead? Did you loosen the lid on the milk carton to watch an unsuspecting family member pour milk aimlessly over the entire kitchen floor? Did you come up with a doozy?

Personally, I never have enjoyed this particular day of revelry. Perhaps my personality is simply too serious and realistic. Or, maybe I don't see laughter among pain caused when you play someone for a fool. Maybe I am over the edge and simply need to lighten up on this one. But, this has got to be the worst holiday ever thought up, in my humble opinion. What other holiday allows you to play jokes on someone making them out to be foolish? What other holiday allows you to out right "lie" in the name of a day. I'm paying off all of your debt - April Fools! Look, you get a raise - April Fools! You're the most beautiful girl I've ever laid eyes on? Really! No! April Fools! Hah hah the joke's on you! What kind of fun is found in such cruelty?

O.K., O.K., I get it! April Fools Day is not all that serious. Put on a happy face and buck up and just have some good, clean innocent fun! Somehow the day still bothers me. Where did it come from? Who originated April Fools Day?

In searching for the answer to this question, I came across this write up on April Fools Day!

The best anyone can tell the day either has to do with a Gregorian calendar change, switching the date of January 1, or a Roman celebration to the god Attis. Neither description endears me or encourages me to embrace the day of laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment